Computers are a necessity these days, in every industry in existence.All tasks today, no matter how simple, are taken care of using computers. Moreover, they are also used as incredible storage devices. Nowadays, we get PCs with storage as big as 1 to 2 Tb as well, that’s a whole lot of storage space. However, in order to get the maximum out of your hard-disk, you need to keep it in pristine condition.
This article will tell you exactly what you can do to keep your hard disk nice and safe.
- Install software from reliable sources – There are millions of different software out there, but almost 50% of them contain malware or some sort of virus. You must be very careful of where you get your software, as a virus can prove very fatal to your hard disk as well as your computer.
- Remove unwanted programs – There are a few programs which you may have installed on your system but lost interest in that very software after a few months. In such cases, the software becomes deadwood, and only serves the annoying purpose of hogging hard disk memory space. Make sure you get rid of any such program that you may have on your system. This will ease up your memory and give you a cleaner hard disk.
- Scan every incoming program for Virus – Installing software has become very hassle-free nowadays. With just a few clicks, any program or software can easily be installed on your system. This ease to humanity comes at a terrible price – Human negligence. What I mean is, no one really pays attention to the installation, as they are busy hitting the ‘Next’ button with all their might. That’s where the firewall comes in. Make sure your Firewall program is up and running as it will scan every incoming file or installed software , and immediately ping you in case there is anything suspicious. Must Check : Best Free Download Antivirus for PC 2015 (Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10)
- Keep your OS up to date – Yes, I know it sounds annoying , but its really necessary if you want your PC and its Hard disk at their optimum condition. Majority of the industry today, uses Microsoft’s Windows OS . Whatever be the case, make sure you install the timely OTA updates that the companies stream to you, as they contain necessary bug fixes and improvements which only do your computer a lot of good.
- Make sure you have Backup options – We must always be prepared for the worst, which in this case, is complete loss of data. No one loves to lose data, even if it is 0.1 % of it. In such cases, make sure you have all your data backed up onto an external hard disk or cloud storage as you can never predict when such accidents happen.
- Defragment your Hard Disk – When you install a program or software, it does not occupy consecutive memory locations. Rather, the CPU allocates the software, memory locations which are available at that time. When you delete that particular software, the entire memory occupied by it is not cleaned. This is because, some of the allocated memory locations are paired with memory locations occupied by part of a different software. To tackle this issue, every OS is fit with a defragment program which picks out empty memory locations and clubs them together, giving you a chunk of free space after the process is done.
This is it. If you follow these simple steps, your Hard disk will remain in flawless condition.